"By using stacking tiers to store shoes vertically or an over-the-door shoe organizer, you can open up floor space for a dresser or other large storage solution," she says. Only then can you tell exactly how much you have to store and what size solutions you’ll need to contain each group. If your closet sports a single rod, you’re doing yourself (and your clothes) a disservice. By installing a secondary rod below the existing one, you can move half of your clothes onto it and give everything more breathing room.
- At the end of a workday, the closet door can be shut to separate the office from the living space.
- The cabinet with door serves as the perfect place to hide your PC / computer tower, and keep it off your desktop (unless you only use a laptop).
- Closet offices offer a unique way to make the most out of any situation.
- In a walk-in closet, you can position the desk along a wall or in the center of the room.
- Wood elements like a floating shelf and a bench topper completed the project.
- Then you could add more shelving up there and maximize your space even more.
Not only will your closet office look organized and beautiful, so will your work. Measure from the back wall to the interior lip of the threshold to ensure that all of your office equipment like printers and scanners will fit with the closet door closed. After all, the best part of a closet-office, or “cloffice”, is that you can close the door and hide it all away. Contemplating closet office ideas definitely doesn’t preclude the use of color.
Smart Shelving Solutions
And if not, whether you can reuse the supports currently holding up the shelves. First review all the considerations mentioned above, and you will have an easy closet office. And here’s a nice example of this type of closet office desk. There are so many different ways to incorporate a desk in your closet office; the best desk for you depends on how you want to use your office.
Beyond the desk, you get to be a little creative and make your converted closet office into your own. If the closet is not a walk in, installing a custom hanging desk is likely your best choice – just have it cut to fit the size of your space. We’re not showing how to wire your closet office here, but chances are you’ll want to add at least one electrical outlet and possibly cable, phone or network wiring.
DIY Christmas Gifts for Pets
Test the doors for proper operation and adjust the hardware if necessary. Install the knobs and alignment clips as shown in the hardware installation instructions. At the end of each work day, tidy and put everything back where it belongs. Your closet office needs the same attention as your cubicle. Storage will be your best friend when it comes to designing a home office in your closet that’s stylish and functional. You can also make a statement with a fashionable stool or accent chair, depending on the size of your closet space.
- If you cannot afford a plasterer to skim the walls, but still want them to look pretty, wallpaper could be the way to add some colour and texture to your cloffice.
- Instead, put up a light sconce or two to get the lighting you need as you work without sacrificing desktop space.
- Add pretty knobs and maybe a coat of paint to personalize it.
- Apply a coat of chalkboard paint to closet walls for a distration-free space.
- But if you have nothing that you need to put in them, they can certainly feel like a waste of space.
If you need to create a workspace, one of the best and often overlooked areas to consider is your closet. Each shelf is just one piece and is perfect for the open concept I wanted. Floating shelves would be nice as well https://remotemode.net/ but we just painted the brackets and they disappear into the wall. There’s no shortage of IKEA hacks on the internet so if you're relatively handy, you can construct your own closet system with minimal investment.
Step 11: Install Door Hardware
This can include a combination of overhead light, focused light (like a desk lamp), and, if possible, access to natural light through a window. This $3 table was chalk painted black for a place to put my laptop, which hooks up to a large monitor for photo editing. The shelves go almost all the converting closet to office way to the ceiling so that I can store empty photo albums and picture boxes at the very top. No need to buy a shoe rack to keep your footwear off the floor. “Tension rods can really make a difference for using small weird spaces or building in shelves where there aren’t any,” shares Lipp.
A few droplets of oil can reduce stress and create a calming atmosphere in the cloffice. If you do love a good fragrance, you might want to keep an oil diffuser on your desktop. A mirror also reminds one of a window, which can make you feel better in a windowless office. This way, you can easily access the items whenever you need them, without cluttering up your desktop.
Attractive floating shelves hold items you reach for often or want to display. On the side walls, pegboards hold scissors and buckets of pens and pencils and craft supplies. A really charming way to include a desk in your closet office is to use a small desk that fits in your closet. Your existing closet door may work just fine for your home office, or you might need to consider other alternatives.